Fresh Baked

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

So the Fish Screwed Me

As much as I would like to say sweet things about Beth, I'm skipping it for a time when I also don't want to hit her just a little bit. Because I know as soon as I post this I will think of 10 other songs that would fit each category so much better than what I have. Also, this is now the third time I've tried to finish this today and I've resorted to making up some answers.

1. Song that sounds like happy feels:
Dolly Parton's "Why'd You Come In Here (Looking Like That)." It has nothing to do with the lyrics, but the overall tone just cracks me up. I don't think there has been a time that I've heard that song and not laughed.

Leo Sayer's "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" and Tavares' "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel" could also fall into this category for the similar reasons.

2. Earliest memory:
Lots of Irish music. Specifically, "All God's Creatures Got A Place in the Choir." The best part is that it still gets played in the house and when I was home a few weeks ago my dad and I sang it together. He gets his bass really low and it cracks me up just as much now as it did when I was 6.

3. Last CD you bought:

The Zuton's "Who Killed... the Zutons" and I am so impressed with myself for remembering that.

4. Reminds you of school:

Elementary School
(I'm assuming this also includes Jr. High)
I don't think I understood music until I was about thirteen because why would anybody want to just sit there and listen to something when there was TV? Punky Brewster took precedence. But I do remember winning 2 tapes from doing magazine sales and choosing REM's Out of Time. The other tape was either Nelson or Wilson Phillips and right now I'm not prepared to let myself sort through those memories to figure out which.

Middle school was also the turning point for me because I started down the road to Reba. I doubt there is one person in my life from that time who wouldn't associate me with Reba because I made them all sick of her.

High School

Again with the Reba. A lot of Sarah McLachlan and Tracy Chapman's Fast Car over and over and over and over...

College
Sublime, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Barenaked Ladies and Dixie Chicks came into play, as well as about a thousand others I can't think of. There was also a huge Nelly Furtado uprising in my senior year.

Specific songs were Cisco's Thong Song and the Venga Boys' Venga Bus because I always misheard it and thought they were saying my name.

5. Total music files on your PC:
My parents have, courtesy of me, about 2,000. Home has about the same and work has 1,660 (and I cleared off 2 gigs last week).

6. Song for listening to repeatedly when depressed:
Cathie Ryan's Somewhere Along the Road and Kate Rusby's Who Will Sing Me Lullabies.. Anything Irish, actually, because it will do one of two things: Make me even more depressed because God can it be sad and haunting, or make me want to move my feet and get over it.

7. Song that sounds British, but isn't:
Zutons Pressure comes to mind... and if it wasn't for the fact that they actually are British, this might be an acceptable answer.

8. Song you love, band you hate:
I can't think of any. I'm pretty good at hating something and never going back, so I've probably protested potential songs on priciple. I do have some problems with both Garth Brooks and Van Morisson but get over it enough to enjoy their songs.

9. A favorite song from the past that took ages to track down:
Going back to the Irish songs from little-hood, my entire family has spent months searching for The Irish Rovers' Children of the Unicorn. What we eventually wound up doing was finding someone to transfer it off vinyl and onto CD. It's a horrible copy, but it's nice to have.

I also waited patiently for years for Disney to put the Pete's Dragon soundtrack out. I have it now and it's wonderful, but for some reason all of Red Button's lines are missing and it drives me crazy.

10. Bought the album for one good song:
I would actually have to look at my CDs to come up with the right answer for this, but I will admit (sadly) that I searched-- SEARCHED for the Parent Trap Soundtrack because I liked Nat King Cole's L-O-V-E. I don't know what was wrong with me- it's not like it's not on any other CD.

11. Worst Song to Get Stuck in your Head:
Baby Beluga. My sister taught her 1st grade class this song and she would come home singing it. When I went to visit her in school, I had 20 first graders screaming this song at me. And now its back again. Damnit!

12. Best song to dump a beer on someone's head to, then storm out of the bar?
My first thought after reading this question was of Grease. Why? Because thats how my brain works. I can't think past it now, though so there will be no answer for this question unless anyone will agree that Raining on Prom Night would work.

On a side note: I'm a big fan of storming out. I try to do it once a week if possible, even if I have no reason.

13. Who should do this next?
Holz and Bad Penguin