Fresh Baked

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

When Chemicals Attack : Stupid People Learning the Hard Way

Blah, blah, blah duct tape party... and there will be PRIZES!! Not just any prizes, either-- goddamn handmade-with-love prizes that are slowly stripping me of skin tissue and patience. Oliver and I started this project yesterday, intending to make a trophy for the best dressed duct taped participant.


So we started with a plaster mold...


...that soon after became a plaster mold trapping my hand in 10 gajillion degrees of fire. Here's a fun fact, kids-- plaster has a chemical reaction to water!


140 degrees of heat makes your hand look real pretty...


...and I my hand fell into a burning ring of fire. And its burn, burn, burn...


And after that? The mold broke. Tonight we went for round two: papier-mâché (thanks, Jack).



Oliver got to be the hand model for this experiment. Here's the first round of application...


...and a fancy shot of the mold under the halogen.


And when that was finished, we tried to fill it with a spray-foam-mold-stuff...


...that exploded...


...and has since refused to come off of anything it came into contact with. Namely? Me. I cannot feel my fingertips. I have been trying to pull, wash, scrub, and scrape this shit off for a few hours now and predict that I'll have hours and hours more fun doing the same and still getting nowhere.

But the prizes will kick ass.

(ETA: The foam spray hardened over night. I feel like I am wearing a sandpaper glove.)